Monday 17 August 2009

"Art in the Pen" weekend




Managed to get absolutely everything into the Focus (surprisingly) on Friday morning ready for a journey up to Skipton to the Auction Mart where Art in the Pen was being held for the weekend. The heady whiff of cow crap in the air was the first greeting and although I'm used to it by now it did seem that it would be stretching the imagination to turn the venue into "One of the north's finest contemporary art fairs" as promised by the lottery/arts council funded literature! However, the pens were soon transformed into arty pods although I did think the plastic plants that someone brought to decorate their area was a little over the top.

Three hours later and with grateful assistance from Wendy who is now a dab hand with the cable tie my hessian draped pen was ready for business and "Elton" the studio calf was in place.

The preview evening (of which there are no photos because I left my camera in the Travel lodge) went well although I have to say it was quite a surreal experience to have a live string quartet (God bless the arts council!) playing away outside one of the pens whilst we sipped chilled fizz. Some of the other exhibitors dressed for the occasion and offered delicate nibbles and canapes although I did see lemonade and a dish of crisps on one stand!

Next day began in earnest and I started the painting live weekend reckoning that even if I didn't sell anything then at least I'd have got two days work in! The venue was busy for the whole two days so there were plenty of people to talk to and they seemed quite interested about the whole process. The most intelligent questions came from a young man aged about ten who didn't ask the usual "how long does it take etc".

I was actually quite glad to have taken "Elton" as I could see the fists of the under fives hammering away at him and was grateful that it was providing sufficient distraction whilst the parents could view the artwork!

This was "Young Pretender" a young Hereford bull from The Royal Show last year and I've been wanting to paint him for a while. By the end of the first day I'd managed a full days painting and this was as far as I'd got. You can see the acrylic underpainting and where I've added the oil top coat from the left of the painting.

By the Sunday I'd talked to some great people and managed to secure some sales! It was worth chatting to some of the other exhibitors and swap info and find out what a small world it is when you have friends and colleagues in common. Interesting also to talk to some independent galleries keen to do business so definitely a weekend worth doing!

By the end of Sunday this was how far I'd progressed with "Young Pretender" who is on 30" x 30" canvas. He's back in the studio now waiting for the best bit to begin - the work on the face and the character to appear.







































1 comments:

Wendy Corbett said...

Looking good!! I'm off to practise with my cable ties, got to keep my hand in for next year:-)

Post a Comment