Monday 11 January 2010

If the Flaps Flutter for Another


The Valentines Day messages in the British press are a source of joy and inspiration for me as I delight in some of the pet names people have for each other. Last year I came across one from "Rascal Flaps" and I kept a note of it imagining that it might suit a suitably floppy eared subject. Last year at a show amongst the pig pens, I found my Rascal Flaps!


It's not that easy getting good pig reference even from the shows as access to them is only granted after they have been judged. Most often, by then, they are sleeping in their pens and invariably have their heads buried under the straw. I wouldn't be surprised if Nytol or Mogadon sponsor the trophies for this show!


The acrylic underpainting was put in first. The straw is now completed in oil here

The body is practically completed here and that was how I left it at the end of this session

You can see here that I have continued the dark colouring around the canvas but I haven't continued the painting around it. When I first approached WG with my work Glyn pointed out that it cheapened an image to wrap it around the canvas and I have to say I do agree although to leave it white in this case wouldn't look right.

The nose still needed to be added at this stage
The final image although needs varnishing to bring out all the tones properly


I do actually have an idea for another pig painting but that does involve me visiting the party section in Matalan and I'm not sure I can face that just yet. It never ceases to amaze me that in all the recent snow and ice which has resulted in the closures of some schools, businesses and roads that a number have battled their way throught to Matalan. That they have even considered this a journey of necessity to purchase own label clothing/housewares/luggage etc and then queued with the others to be invited to "till number three" astounds me.
Maybe, these are the types who have virtually stripped nearby Sainsburys of milk, salt, grit and sliced white bread - the very stuff of life (apparently). Survival, it would seem, must have it's price and 69p for a twin pack of Pain Rustique or £1.15 for a "Taste the Difference" ciabatta is the point at which siege mentality ends. Jamie won't be happy!
As to the real Rascal Flaps I can only wonder if romance has survived the year or if the flaps now flutter for another. I can only hope that he isn't sitting on a stockpile of salt and white bread.

0 comments:

Post a Comment